Sunday, December 6, 2009

Lite Fried Rice Recipe!!!

I love this recipe...I think I've made it 4 times in the last month. I portion it into 1.5 cup containers and freeze it, nuke it for 5 minutes at lunch (I have a crappy microwave) and it's good to go.

From Hungry Girl (you know, that girl who's on Rachel Ray!!)

VEGGIE-RIFIC FRIED RICE

Ingredients:
2 cups cooked brown rice, fridge temperature (very important)
2 cups frozen diced carrots and peas
1 cup chopped bean sprouts
1 cup chopped mushrooms
3/4 cup fat-free liquid egg substitute (like Egg Beaters Original)
1/4 cup chopped scallions
One packet (about 1 oz.) fried rice seasoning mix (like the kind by Kikkoman or Sun-Bird)
1 tbsp. light or low-sodium soy sauce
1/8 tsp. garlic powder
1/8 tsp. ground ginger
salt and pepper, to taste

Directions:
In a small dish, combine seasoning mix, garlic powder, and ground ginger with soy sauce and 3 tbsp. warm water. Using a fork or whisk, stir until seasoning mix has dissolved. Set aside.

Spray a wok or very large pan with nonstick spray, and bring it to medium heat on the stove. Add egg substitute and scramble until cooked, using a spatula to break it up into bite-sized pieces. Remove scrambled bits from the wok or pan and set aside.

Add mushrooms and frozen vegetables to the wok or pan, and cook and stir until mushrooms have softened and all veggies are hot. Remove veggies and set aside with the egg-y bits.

Remove your wok or pan from heat, re-spray with nonstick spray, and bring to high heat on the stove. Add rice and seasoning mixture, and stir to combine. Add bean sprouts, scallions and the previously cooked veggies and scrambled eggs, and mix thoroughly to integrate. Cook and stir until entire mixture is hot, there is no liquid left in the pan, and rice is just beginning to crisp. Season to taste with salt and pepper.


MAKES 5 SERVINGS

Serving Size: 1 cup
Calories: 167
Fat: 0.5g
Sodium: 630mg
Carbs: 30g
Fiber: 4g
Sugars: 4g
Protein: 8.5g

POINTS® value 3*

****NOTE: I use white rice because I don't like brown rice. Chop up the sprouts and mushrooms really small, as in rice-sized, and they just incorporate right into the rice. I throw in an extra 1/2 cup or so, and my kids don't even know that more than half of the dish they're eating is vegetables. And I use a combo of whole eggs and egg whites...I never remember to buy Egg Beaters when I'm out.

3 comments:

Princesstefer said...

mmm... this sounds great, especially that you substitute the way I would lol But I don't know what this rice seasoning mix stuff she speaks of is... and it sounds like something that would have oodles of MSG in it and that a plain old Chinese 5-spice mix might work too.... what did you use?

Kylie's Mom said...

I used the seasoning packet, because I suck at cooking lol. It's just easier for me that way...at least I know it will turn out.

But you're probably right about the 5 spice thing, that would probably work just as well :) .

Cori said...

Mmmmm...

I used to hate brown rice, but for some reason, the long grain brown tastes awesome in my new(ish) rice cooker. But my kids still hate it, so it's refined for me!